Tule Publishing founder and bestselling author Jane Porter recently spoke at RWA and led a workshop on how to succeed and survive in the publishing world. Check out her tips!
View the full write-up by Kay Freeman here
- Set personal goals and revisit them. Be clear and specific with what you want.
- Don’t measure yourself against other people’s dreams and success.
- Know how you’re different. What can you offer your reader?
- Don’t look at the sales of one book. Realize you’re in writing for the long haul.
- Pick a lane. Do you need to write every kind of romance?
- A stand-alone is hard to sell. Are there characters you can pull from this story? Think series.
- Never burn a bridge. Try to get along with people.
- Get real. Have your own attitude. Don’t be a diva but have a positive outlook.
- Be proactive. Ask questions. You don’t understand what you don’t understand.
- Hang with others who are resilient, who will build you up, and won’t tear you down. Be likewise for them.