I’m so excited for the release of my first Christmas story, GRINCH GIRL! It’s bittersweet, though, because this book is the finale of my Tech-nically Love series, which I have loved writing.
As with the other books in the series, I created a playlist of songs that kept me firmly in the world of my characters as I wrote … I hope you enjoy!
GRINCH GIRL Playlist
- 9 to 5 – Dolly Parton. My main character, Jane, is a hard-working woman! She works three jobs and lives in a small town that’s struggling to survive.
- Surface Pressure – Jessica Darrow. Yes, this is from Encanto. And while “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” is a banger, “Surface Pressure” is my favorite song from that movie. I feel like most women can relate to the intense feeling of having to hold it all together, of needing to be the emotional rock of their families. Although Jane doesn’t see herself this way, she’s been the rock for multiple people in her life over the past decade.
- ‘tis the damn season – Taylor Swift. This song is about returning home for the holidays and hooking up with a past love. It’s a wistful love song about the road not taken. In GRINCH GIRL, Jane’s childhood BFF –and current enemy—Bella, has returned home for the month of December and finds herself reconnecting with her high school boyfriend.
- Pour Some Sugar On Me – Def Leppard. I’ll let readers figure out how this fits into the story…
- I Think We’re Alone Now – Tiffany. Let’s just say that when Jane and Nate find themselves alone … things get interesting.
- Arcade – Duncan Laurence. “Black Moment” song of the book. Jane is dealing with a lot of emotions in this story. She’s falling in love with someone who’s going to leave town and she’s being forced to re-evaluate the ending of the most important friendship of her life. The lyrics of this song “All I know, loving you is a losing game” are very relevant to her fear of loving either the new man in her life or her one time best friend.
- I Think I Like You – The Band CAMINO. This song was on the radio a lot when I was drafting GRINCH GIRL and I completely went nuts for it. This song *feels* like falling in love!
About the Author
There are only three things Michelle Dayton loves more than sexy and suspenseful novels: her family, the city of Chicago, and Mr. Darcy. Michelle dreams of a year of world travel — as long as the trip would include weeks and weeks of beach time. As a bourbon lover and unabashed wine snob, Michelle thinks heaven is discussing a good book over an adult beverage.