Delicious recipes straight from the kitchens of your favorite Tule authors.
Through the holiday season, we will be featuring family recipes from members of the Tule office!
Today’s featured recipe is Vietnamese Coke Chicken (Gà Kho Cola) from Tule’s Social Media Marketing Assistant, Dominique.
This recipe is an original from my grandmother, where her family operated a hotel and restaurant in Saigon, Vietnam. I have made this recipe for Christmas dinner with my family for the past few years. It also makes for a flavorful weeknight dinner with easy ingredients and preparation! – Dominique
- 4-6 chicken thighs
- 1 liter cola (any brand is okay)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Maggi seasoning (Don’t have it? Read this article about what you can use as substitutions!)
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pat dry chicken thighs with paper towels. Salt and pepper on both sides.
- Use wok or stock pot for cooking, with burner set to medium-high. Pour vegetable oil inside pot and put diced onions, chicken thighs, and bay leaves in. Brown chicken on both sides. Salt and pepper as needed.
- Once chicken is cooked through to about 75%, turn burner down to low and place cola and Maggi seasoning into pot.
- Let chicken simmer on each side for 20 minutes (total of 40 minutes). Skim fat as necessary.
- Set heat to high for an additional 5 minutes, with chicken skin-side down.