Delicious recipes straight from the kitchens of your favorite Tule authors.
Enjoy Jane Hartley’s family favourite “Celebration Cake” made for special occasions.
Cherry Coconut Celebration Cake
150 grams butter
135 grams Coconut
225 grams castor sugar
3 eggs beaten
180 ml milk
1 packet of glace cherries, chopped
Red food colouring
1. Measure all dry ingredients and mix together.
2. Stir in cherries (this helps the cherries from sinking to the bottom of the cake). Add a dash of red food colouring.
3. Melt butter in a small saucepan, then remove from heat. Set aside.
4. Add milk to the butter mixture. Then add the dry ingredients and the eggs (if you put the eggs straight into the butter they start to cook).
5. Mix together add to prepared pans.
If you do the separate tins, they cook really quickly because they are so thin. They are ready when they leave the side of the tin. Maybe 10 minutes. Or one 20cm cake tin moderate oven for around an hour.
WARNING: This mix will appear runny. Don’t be tempted to add more dry ingredients. The Coconut soaks up the moisture while cooking.
400 grams of cooking chocolate
200ml of cream
In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate but watch it closely as the chocolate will keep melting after you take it out. Stir it every 5 to 10 minutes to prevent lumps while it’s thickening.
We also like to use cherry jam for layering with some of the gnash.
Then put what you want on the top!
– Jane Hartley